Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mixed reviews on Tiger Woods return

2009 Australian Masters - Day 4

There are mixed messages coming from the PGA Tour about Tiger Woods' potential return to the game of golf. Really, I would rather see Tiger stay away from golf. It's time his torch is passed to someone who still has an ounce of credibility to their name.

Phil Mickelson has publicly stated that, "The game of golf needs him to come back."

I wouldn't go that far Phil. You're doing fine on the tour. The PGA still has Sergio Garcia, Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els, and Padraig Harrington. That's enough star power for me.

I don't need a womanizer, sex fiend to entertain me while I watch professional golf.

Others on the PGA Tour share my sentiments, or at least are hesitant about Tiger's return. Tom Watson, one of the games classiest and long time stars, stated that Tiger Woods needs to "clean up his act." Watson made public statements calling out Woods' actions and downplaying Tiger's place among golf greats such as Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, and Arnold Palmer.

I have to agree with Watson on the "class" of these individuals, but disagree when it comes to golf ability. Tiger is one of the greatest to ever play the games. Tiger is also one of the most embarrasing men to ever play the game professionally. What he lacks in class and moral standing, he makes up in skill.

I think Tiger Woods will definitely return in time for the Masters, and likely for a warm up round leading into the tournament. How the crowd reacts, will definitely be interesting. Myself, I wouldn't stand and applaud a man like Tiger Woods. I appreciate his ability and skill, but he is not the type of person our society needs to celebrate.

Geoff Ogilvy called out Tiger Woods, stating that out of respect for the sport, Tiger needs to answer to his critics and discuss the situation before returning to the game of golf.

Out of respect for the sport? Sorry Mr. Ogilvy, you're asking a man to show respect to a game, who struggles to show respect to his fellow human beings. While many can't wait for the return of Tiger Woods, I'll happily watch the rest of the PGA Tour compete. And if Tiger does return for the Masters, I'll be cheering for Team Mickelson.

Let the games begin.

1 comment:

  1. People grow up!! I agree that Tiger should show more respect for the game in the way that he conducts himself on the course. While I do not condon his infidelity off the course the likes of Phil, Sergio and the list of others combined has never brought to the game what Tiger does or has.

    Don't get me wrong, those guys are great and fun to watch, but they have never generated the fan or corporate intrest that Tiger has.

    It seems as though we are all so quick to judge and crucify others for their short comings and the real truth is that we are probably not all that different. We are just not in the public light where our short comings are exposed.

    So, my question to you Pontus Pilot what have you done that either you haven't been caught yet or that your'e not talking about?

    By the way... Tiger did not put himself on a pedistal, the world and people like you did, he unfortunately bought into it.

    ReplyDelete