Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brian Burke shows that family comes first

LA Kings & Anaheim Ducks Practice Session

For anyone who has read my column or blog, you'll know what I think of Brian Burke as a hockey man. I don't like his current team, I don't like the way he builds his teams, and I think he is an overrated general manager and hockey mind.

Regardless of what I think about his hockey status, it is refreshing to see a true family man in professional sports. Following the death of Burke's son Brendan, Burke has opted to not attend the Opening Ceremonies for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver with his Team USA hockey team.

Not only this, but when Brendan Burke revealed his homosexuality to the world, Brian Burke stood by his son, publicly stating his love and support. It didn't seem phony either, it seemed heartfelt and sincere.

From a 'manly man' who prides himself in creating tough teams, this could not have been easy. Or was it?

In a world filled with infidelity, abuse, and broken families, particularly in professional sports, Brian Burke seems to be an anomaly. He stood by his son in life, and now he is standing by his son, and standing up for his family values in death.

The story of Brendan Burke is a sad one. You can bet however, that missing the Olympic Opening Ceremonies is the last thing on Brian Burke's mind. I still don't like the hockey man, I still don't like his team, and I will never like his management style, but I have a new found respect for Brian Burke the person, and Brian Burke the father.

Brian Burke will rejoin Team USA in time for the start of their Olympic hockey schedule and the Toronto Maple Leafs following the Games.

Sure Burke has made mistakes; however, his actions have shown that he realizes hockey is just a game and family comes first.

Let the games begin.

Follow Instant Replay on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment