Monday, March 1, 2010

I have Olympic Games withdrawl

Closing ceremony for 2010 Winter Olympics

Pressing the recall button on my remote control tonight had a strange effect. First, I saw the evening news. Recall. Then it was an ESPN film? What the heck? Where were the Olympics?

Yes, I watched the closing ceremonies just like everyone else. I realize the Games are over. But now, I was forced to do something I hadn't done for two weeks. I had to press the "Guide" button, and explore what else was on TV.

No skiing, no bobsleigh, no curling, no speed skating. What a rip off. NBA basketball seemed like a cheesy participation ribbon. It seemed like TSN was sending me a message saying, "thanks for tuning in, unfortunately, this is all we have for you."

The Vancouver Olympics were a truly great event and displayed the outstanding power of sport. 14 gold medals were won by Canada, more than any nation in the history of the Winter Olympics. More importantly, millions went back to work following the closing ceremonies feeling refreshed, proud, and excited.

Don't worry sports fans, there are a few things for us to look forward to. We have March Madness, the Stanley Cup playoffs, and the World Cup of Soccer. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a few years before the Olympics re-appear and much longer before we are able to experience another Olympic Games on Canadian soil.

It was good while it lasted, I just wish it had lasted longer.

Let the games begin.

Follow Instant Replay on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment