Thursday, May 6, 2010

Our wedding invitation to Steve Yzerman

Columbus Blue Jackets v Detroit Red Wings

This letter is a little late as you can find it already posted on the CIK Marketing Blog and Chatham-Kent Daily Post, but I thought I would give it a whirl here too. What's cooler, is that within hours of this article surfacing, Steve Yzerman's people actually contacted my fiancee about her wedding invite to Stevie Y:

Dear Mr. Yzerman,

I know you’re a very busy man. In the past year you’ve been involved with the Canadian men’s Olympic hockey team, you’ve been spotted scouting at various Ontario Hockey League playoff games, and right now, your Detroit Red Wings are battling it out against the San Jose Sharks in Stanley Cup playoff action. But with that being said, I really need a minute or two of your time. I’m writing this letter because I need your help.

You see Mr. Yzerman, I’m engaged to be married on June the 26th, and I have a sinking suspicion that my soon-to-be husband loves you more than he will ever love me. And I don’t mean in a creepy way; his love for you is pure and genuine. I guess I really can’t blame him; he’s followed your career since he was a young boy and knows more about you than you probably know about yourself. You’ve been the most important figure in his life for more than a quarter century, and that is why I would like to invite you and your family to join us on June 26th as a guest of honour at our wedding.

Now, I know you probably get a lot of these sorts of invitations from so-called “die-hard” fans, but believe me; no one loves the Red Wings and Stevie Y quite like my fiancée. Ian knows everything about your career, from your birth city in B.C. and your days as a Peterborough Pete, right up to your final minute of play as a Red Wing. He knows every goal and every assist. He knows that you scored your milestone 500th goal on Patrick Roy and the Colorado Avalanche on January 17th, 1996, and that you played a record 23 seasons with the Red Wings. He’s seen you play dozens of times at the Joe, and I’d hazard to say he’s never missed a single game on television. Heck, he proposed to me on the 19th of October, (and no, the date wasn’t just a coincidence). He’s walked in Stanley Cup parades and cried after playoff loses. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been forced to watched that overtime goal from 1996, when you beat Jon Casey with a slap shot from the blue line to win the Western Semifinals in double O.T. of game seven. And while he still loves the Red Wings more than anyone ever should, it’s just not quite the same as when you were wearing the “C”.

I know you’re schedule is probably pretty booked in the upcoming months, but not to worry – Ian made sure the wedding date didn’t conflict with the NHL playoff schedule. (I’d have been walking down the aisle by myself had the ceremony taken place on the same day as a Stanley Cup Final game). He’s also gone ahead and re-arranged the head table seating plan so you’ll have a prominent spot… in my chair. There would have been a Stanley Cup wedding cake too, but I had to draw the line somewhere. All of the arrangements have been made; all we need now is to hear back from you. You can reply by email to stevieyweddinginvite@gmail.com.

So Stevie (can I call you Stevie?), what do you say? Nothing would make my fiancée happier than to have you as an honoured guest at our upcoming wedding. It would truly make the wedding the most memorable day of his life. Just be forewarned – I come from a family of die hard Maple Leafs fans, so expect to hear plenty of crazy talk about playoff hopes for next year.

Best of luck to you and the boys in game four tonight… you can rest assured that Ian and I will be watching.

Sincerely,

Chantielle MacFarlane

No comments:

Post a Comment